counter

Tuesday 20 April 2010

Hooded Crow, Choughs 'n' Ravens

Well What a week,I had a 10 hour journey upto a scotish town called Hopeman which is very close to Inverness.We were only there for a couple of days on a visit to see my sister and her family and WOW what a place, so quiet and tranquil, cant wait to get back up there. Chris her husband is a rock climber and hopefully we are going to share a cottage for a few days in the west of Scotland, where I can go spotting and Chris can go Climbing.Whilst I was up there we did a bit of sight seeing and I had 2 hours birding with my little nephew Reece. He did take a picture of a thrush but I think I have deleted it by mistake so if you are reading this Reece, Sorry we will get another next time I come up. Birds I seen included Eider, Crossbill, Red Grouse, Curlew, Shellduck along with the usual waders

A couple of pictures from our trip
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On Sunday I joined the mini bus with Nuneaton bird club and we were off to Great Orme North Wales, another long slog but well worth it. The sea was very calm and a lot of seabirds on the surface, just as we were getting to a viewing point an almighty sound sent all the birds out off the coast,seconds later a group of jet skiers came roaring across the bay, we cant really moan as the sea is for all to enjoy.However I werent so keen on them when Alan and I saw two skis deliberatly chasing cormorants.Initial birds were Cormorant, Shag,Gannet, Guillamot, Razor bill. On the rocks we saw Kittywake, Herring gull, GBB Gull and Fulmar but best of the lot was a hooded crow that flew over the bay.

Photobucket

Alan,Nick,Richard and I slogged our way upto the mid carpark where the rest of the group were waiting by the mini bus. As we got our snap out Alan told the rest of the group about Ring Ouzel that had been spotted at the top, so off they trogged up a very steep hill soon to be followed by us as soon as we had eaten. 5 minutes later a birder came to us and told us that we were in the best position to spot Ring Ouzel, Chough, and Wheatear and fair enough within 20 minutes or so we ticked all these birds along with Raven Meadow Pipit loads of jackdaw. I missed the sandwich tern and a perergrine but never mind plenty of time for me to get these.
A couple of record shots of the day

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Col. You are now up on me with Chough and Ring Ouzel! Both are on my "red list" i.e. birds I have not seen for three years or longer. I am glad you are enjoying your birding. I wish we had a local birding group in Rugby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cant believe how excited i get prior to a trip, its not only the birding but also the people i go with,they are a great bunch, always there to help and there is always some good fun. Just got to get back to grips with my camera work, so a local photo trip up seeswood this week. Target - a good picture of Reed Bunting or a warbler and one to match your excellent picture of the great crested grebe

    ReplyDelete

Followers